Official bio: Raul Pacheco is the writer behind the award-nominated travel and lifestyle blog Hummingbird604.com, and the co-author (with Arieanna Schweber) of the e-book “Communities that Rock: Creating Kick-Ass Online Communities” (available online), as well as a specialist in comparative public policy with a research focus on environmental politics. An educator, consultant and researcher, whose online presence includes the blog Hummingbird604.com and its associated online social platforms (blog, Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, Flickr, Klout).
Through Hummingbird604.com, Raul has created a vast online community about travel and tourism, food and restaurants, dance, theatre and the fine arts and lifestyle in and around the Vancouver Lower Mainland, the province of British Columbia and Canada. In addition to managing his own dynamic community online, Raul budgets a limited amount of his time to offer social media consulting services around non-profits, higher education, government, politics and public policy and frequently speaks and keynotes about community activism and community building (both in the online and offline spaces). He also blogs about his academic research.
Topics I speak on
In the past few years, I have given numerous talks around the following topics:
- Implementing social media platforms in public policy, public service delivery and political campaigns.
- Creating, sustaining and expanding online communities for learning, higher education, academic research and teaching.
- Implementing social networking sites to raise environmental awareness
- Building online communities through social media and social networking platforms
- Creating buzz around your brand using social media
- Integrating social media with site building (WordPress)
Selected Talks in 2012:
“Growing Robust Online Communities With WordPress” WordCamp Victoria 2012, Victoria, BC. January 14th, 2012 [Testimonials and Feedback]
You can read testimonials of my talks here.
Selected Talks in 2011:
This is a short selection of my talks I’ve given. For a more complete list click here.
- Panel: Government 2.0 Social Media Week Vancouver 2011, September 22, 2011.
- Talk: 6 Easy Ways to Manage Yourself as a Project. Freelance Camp Vancouver 2011: September 10th, 2011.
- Workshop: Demystifying Social Media: Presented to the Oceanside Volunteer Association, Parksville, British Columbia. June 9th, 2011.
- Talk: Know Thyself: Practical Tips on Reputation Management and Mastering Digital Identity Using Social Media. Speaker. Social Media Camp Victoria 2011, Victoria, BC. Hosted at the Victoria Conference Cente, 2nd and 3rd of June, 2011.
- with Dr. Janni Aragon: Teaching with Social Media. Panelist. Social Media Camp Victoria 2011, Victoria, BC. Hosted at the Victoria Conference Cente, 2nd and 3rd of June, 2011.
- Guest lecturer for Natasha Netshay Davies’ PR class, SFU PR Class of 2011. “Pitching Bloggers and Online Influencers“. May 25th, 2011
- with Arieanna Schweber: Communities that Rock. Creating Kick-Ass Online Communities. Panelist and speaker. Northern Voice, Vancouver, BC. Hosted at UBC Life Sciences Centre. May 13th, 2011.
- Keynote speaker (w/ Rebecca Bollwitt): Social Media: The History and How it is Used Now. WorkSafeBC TechDays. April 11, 2011.
- Workshop instructor: Demistifying Twitter: Bringing the Social Back to Social Media in Higher Education. UBC Public Affairs’ Professional Development Program. March 1st, 2011
For a list of the talks I gave in 2010 click here. To contact me in regards to any speaking engagements (e.g. availability, topics and speaking fees), please use the contact form below.