George Wainborn Park (Yaletown)

I love the George Wainborn Park, although I’m quite disappointed that I haven’t been able to find any information on Wikipedia on it (surprising, eh?! but thankfully my good friend Gus Fosarolli came through with information directly from the Vancouver Parks Board website on George Wainborn Park). It’s a park located in the marina side area of Yaletown, very close to the David Lam Park and the area around Beach Crescent, in Yaletown, right across from Granville Island.

George Wainburn Park (Yaletown)

George Wainburn Park (Yaletown)

While some people don’t find “constructed” or “architect-built” parks very exciting (e.g. urban parks that have a somewhat sophisticated feel), I really like them. Obviously, I still have my heart won over by parks like Trout Lake (which, with its lovely lake, looks very much like a non-urban park, despite the fact that it is embedded in a very residential neighbourhood). But I do enjoy walking around George Wainborn Park, in particular along the seawall.

George Wainburn Park (Yaletown)

There are some nice restaurants in the vicinity of that area, including C Restaurant, Nu and the Stone Grill.

Have you ever had the chance to walk around this lovely park?

1. Le Marché St. George (Riley Park)
  2. Lost Lake Park (Whistler, BC)
  3. The urban architecture of Yaletown
  4. McAuley Park (Kingsway and Fraser)
  5. Win tickets to Edge of the Fest with George Strombo and to Out of Bounds double-feature

Blair Smith @agentblairMay 11th, 2011 at 11:55 am

This park is a lovely space that engages visitors physically and visually. I absolutely love the variety of areas, vistas, resting spots, and stimulating built-in imagery.
There is room for a variety of public spaces in Vancouver, we just need to keep insisting on more urban spaces that are so intelligently designed. The downtown core has been losing “people spaces” which we need to reverse as more new developments are approved and our population soars.
George Wainborn Park is a delight IMHO.

MJ AnkenmanMay 11th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

As someone who lives across from this park I am constanly impressed with the design of this park and it’s incorporation to the urban setting. From above it is beautiful design of paths, trees and grass.

GusfMay 11th, 2011 at 12:46 pm

As you know I take Junior here on a regular basis and he just loves this park. Although not an official off-leash park, you can usually find many dogs unleashed and playing. Do be warned the park patrol do ticket.
During the summer you can find many people sunbathing, having picnics and just enjoying the wonderful Vancouver weather. They even have festivals there, including the Summer Solstice.
It’s a great space in an urban setting.

Former YaletownerMay 12th, 2011 at 9:37 pm

From my previous home I watched this park being built and waited anxiously for it to open. It seemed to take forever! It is a wonderful green space great for picnics, people watching, sun bathing and it has a great children’s play area. What is not so great is that so many dog owners bring their dogs here to run around off leash. It is not suitable as an off leash area which is why the parks board has not made it one. It is not safe for dogs to be running through a children’s play area or near the sea wall bike lane. Additionally, people (including a toddler) have been attacked at this park by off leash dogs. I myself was charged by a pit bull, run over by a bull dog and nearly had my food stolen by a few dogs, not to mention all the unwanted sniffs and licks I was subjected to. Asking the owner to please leash their animal and comply with our bylaws was usually met with hostility. Only once did someone apologize and leash their dog. For these reasons I stopped going to the park. I went to the park to unwind but generally left more tense and frustrated. Even more frustrating was that my view from my condo was this lovely park. There were often ten or more dogs running off leash, usually more than half the dogs in the park. Running through the playground, pooping all over while the owners sat and chatted with each other. It’s really sad that these owners have decided the park is theirs and will not share with children, the elderly and others who enjoy spending time in our lovely green spaces. I love dogs but I could do without these irresponsible dog owners.

livMay 13th, 2011 at 6:41 pm

it is such a pretty park but i often forget about it. thanks for reminding me

DilaraMay 13th, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Thank you for sharing this wonderful place with your readers; I love going here! I know a lot of people who are against urban parks, including many of my friends and family but I really love it. That’s not to say that I don’t appreciate a lush park like Stanley Park or Central Park in Burnaby, but there’s just something I LOVE about urban parks.

DarcyMay 16th, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Looks interesting…will check it out!

RaulMay 18th, 2011 at 7:09 am

So glad that you all find this park interesting. I was particularly pleased with the design. And the day was so beautiful it was hard NOT to take photos! :)

JohnJune 21st, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I would like to reiterate what was said above about this NOT being an off-leash dog park. I love this park, this is my neighbourhood and I enjoy spending time there. I do not enjoy the large number of dogs off leash all the time. It may have been decided by dog owners that this is an informal off-leash park but many other residents of this neighbourhood disagree. I have complained to the parks board many times and will continue to do so – I will not be run out of the park by inconsiderate dog owners.