What is your favorite Greek restaurant?

Melinzanosalata house speciality - Mixed Dips - Tsindos AUD14 large
photo credit: avlxyz

My best friends’ girlfriend invited him and I to Stephos (a very popular Greek restaurant on Davie Street, in Vancouver) for dinner (I know, I never posted a review. I will, eventually) for his birthday this year. Admittedly, I loved the food, but more importantly, having dinner there reminded me that I haven’t eaten Greek food in such a long time.

So now, I am asking you, Vancouver – which is your favorite Greek restaurant? And since my readership extends beyond Vancouver, let’s say Lower Mainland (and Abbotsford/Chilliwack, etc.)

1. Apollonia Greek Restaurant (Kitsilano/Fairview Slopes)
  2. Kerkis Greek Taverna [Kitsilano]
  3. Tell me your favorite restaurant!
  4. Stepho’s Greek Taverna (Davie Street, West End)
  5. Your favorite restaurant?

Ryan CousineauNovember 19th, 2009 at 12:36 pm

In Vancouver, Piato Estiatorio on W. 4th. Possibly worth a trip just for their ouzo options.

Outside of Vancouver, My Greek Taverna in Coquitlam.

Piato is really a beautiful restaurant, and both the food and the room are free of the usual Greek-restaurant cliches.

My Greek Taverna has all the standard Greek-restaurant cliches in the room, and the food is not in any way clever, but it is somewhat authentic, it’s executed well, and the avgolemono soup is a rare treat.

Tanya (aka NetChick)November 19th, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Martinis on Broadway (at Columbia) has some great, and fast, Greek food for lunch! I’m often up there these days…

And, I’d have to agree with Ryan on the “My Greek Taverna” above… Yum!

Anny ChihNovember 19th, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I like Ramie’s on Kingsway near Metrotown more than Stephos which I think is severely overrated. But, most of my friends don’t think there’s anything special about Ramie’s.

KeithNovember 19th, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Vlassis Souvlaki in Surrey near King George station. Best greek food I’ve had, and they do great for catering parties and events.

AngelaNovember 19th, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Bouzyos Greek Taverna COMMERCIAL DRIVE. Food, atmosphere, service can’t be beat.

TawcanNovember 19th, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Stepho’s good for student b/c it’s cheap and large portion. In terms of quality there are better Greek places out there.

Maria’s on 4th Ave in Kits.
Sympatico on 4th Ave in Kits.
Felicos in Richmond

Kathie TaylorNovember 19th, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Mythos Taverna on Lonsdale Avenue in North Vancouver. The lamb is always superb (and so is everything else!).

ChrisNovember 19th, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Not being a big fan of Greek food, I can’t give you a personal recommendation but two places that my family loves is Kisamos Taverna in Richmond (Steveston) and Vagellis Taverna in Delta. I’m actually a big fan of Vagellis Taverna myself, although I’m usually dining on the Lasagna.

Michael KwanNovember 19th, 2009 at 10:34 pm

I’ve never eaten at Stephos, but I’ve had their take-out. Good stuff.

For me, I think my favorite would be Bouyzos (sp?) on Commercial Drive. Feels authentic, giant portions, quality food.