A home away from home… The Network Hub

The first time I came to The Network Hub was at my first Third Tuesday event. I was positively impressed. The place is simply outstanding. Ever since I’ve wanted to become a consultant I’ve wanted to have a workspace that provides me with freedom and also positive entrepreneurial energy around me. The Network Hub answers those needs.

WordCamp 2008 Vancouver
A view of The Network Hub’s open space office concept. Photo credit: Raul on Flickr.

So, what is exactly The Network Hub and why does it play an important role in Vancouver’s burgeoning entrepreneurial sphere?

The Network Hub was established 2006 after observations of first time entrepreneurs struggling to find fundings from angel investors and venture capital companies. The Network Hub is a special kind of venture capital firm and incubator that care more about your idea than your age, resume and your business plan.[The Network Hub website]

WordCamp 2008 Vancouver
Another view of The Network Hub. Photo credit: Raul on Flickr

So how *exactly* does The Network Hub help entrepreneurs?

Ideas are important but we also look for motivation, passion and brains. The ideal companies we are looking for usually has two or more founders. We provide micro-loans and resources to help you get started on your ideas in exchange for 5%-10% equity.

We provide to all our startups:
* “Micro” capital
* Infrastructure (office space, legal, accounting, human resources, etc.)
* Product development, management, sales and marketing resources
* Connecting you to potential investors
* Expertise through business partners
[The Network Hub benefits page]

When the time comes for me to start up my business, I will seriously consider coming down to The Network Hub. The concept is somewhat similar to that of WorkSpace, and I think that there should be more of these “shared office space” concepts. I also plan to write a featurette of WorkSpace soon. Stay tuned!

In the mean time, I’d like to thank The Network Hub and their team (especially Minna and Robert) for all their support with the Third Tuesdays, Net Tuesdays AND with last night’s WordCamp.

1. The Network Hub is opening more space in December 2009
  2. On having the right equipment and the right office environment
  3. Reason # 421 why I love The Network Hub!
  4. The Network Hub as a launch pad
  5. My new home is at The Network Hub!

MichaelMay 1st, 2008 at 11:03 pm

I had to work on some stuff and unfortunately missed WordCamp. What are Third Tuesdays and Net Tuesdays exactly?

Also, I just started following you on twitter, I am also from east van :) http://twitter.com/michaelyurechko

RaulMay 1st, 2008 at 11:08 pm

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, Twitter is playing games with me right now so I can’t follow you back until it starts behaving properly. Sorry!

As for Third Tuesdays and Net Tuesdays, these are gatherings of like-minded folks, some in the business of Public Relations, some are geeks, some (like me) are total neophytes and don’t know much about geek stuff :D

East Van, FTW! (for the win!) – I suggest that you look at the Meetup.com websites for both Net Tuesdays and Third Tuesdays. If you fire me an email (details in my contact page!) or a Tweet, I’ll be more than happy to look them up for you :)

Welcome to my blog! I hope you enjoy it. Warning – it’s quite random :D

Tim RamseyMay 1st, 2008 at 11:17 pm

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.

Tim Ramsey

RaulMay 1st, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Thanks Tim! I am glad you like my blog. It is, by its very nature, very random, but I always welcome new readers. Particularly those who come out of the “shy” stage and drop a comment :) Much appreciated! Thanks for the kind words :)

MichaelMay 2nd, 2008 at 12:04 am

Thanks :)

I checked them out, they look interesting. I guess I’ll have to make some time on a tuesday :)

BenMay 2nd, 2008 at 2:18 am

That looks like a great space! We’re just getting our third tuesdays (on thursdays) up and running in Halifax. Swing out sometime :)

RaulMay 2nd, 2008 at 8:14 am

@ Michael – Glad you found the links :)

@ Ben – Next time I’m in Halifax, for sure :)

pakg1May 2nd, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Hey, glad you enjoyed it all! :) We’d welcome you over anytime, it’s always great to have creative folk.

[...] My new home is at The Network Hub! November 20, 2008 Posted by Raul in Downtown, Vancouver, link love, working spaces. Tags: entrepreneurship, The Network Hub trackback Remember how a few months ago I raved about The Network Hub and praised their open office concept, their strong support of young entrepreneurs and the awesome series of events that they’ve been host to? And remember how I called it “my home away from home“? [...]