Sal y Limon (Kingsway and Fraser)

There’s a new Mexican restaurant in town, and it’s here to stay. The most authentic Mexican food (and the least expensive, on top of that) this side of Dona Cata (which is far and a bit inaccessible, as it’s on Victoria and 35th Avenue), Sal y Limon has a very small staff (only 4 people, including the owner), but it has an incredibly broad variety of Mexican dishes.

Sal y Limon (Kingsway and Fraser)

As authentic as the ones I ate in Mexico, and some about as equally tasty as my Mom’s own cooking, Sal y Limon is definitely my favorite Mexican restaurant in town now.

Sal y Limon (Kingsway and Fraser)

Sal y Limon (Kingsway and Fraser)

Sal y Limon has been open only for 2 weeks, but I have seen them already make a big splash. I went there for lunch today and ordered a Spicy Hawaiian Torta and Menudo Soup (a combo for $9.75). Modestly decorated, but super clean and really friendly staff, the food was extraordinary. The Hawaiian torta was pretty big, filled with beans, ham, pineapple, sauce and purple onion, as well as condiments and spices. Extremely tasty and definitely as I remembered the Torta Hawaiiana.

Sal y Limon (Kingsway and Fraser)

The owner was super sweet in that he fixed my menudo soup the way I liked it (a spicy broth that was almost a mix of pozole and menudo). I loved the menudo (though it could have been a little bit spicier) and overall, it would have been enough food for me to keel over and sleep. Equipped with Mexican drinks (Jarritos, Sidral Mundet and Mexican Coca-Cola), Sal y Limon has a small space but it’s warm and full of Mexican food goodness.

Sal y Limon (Kingsway and Fraser)

Sal y Limon (Kingsway and Fraser)

I came back for dinner and had a Huarache con Pollo Pibil (Pibil-style chicken huarache). Extremely big, with pollo pibil that was perfectly made, tender and flavourful, with just the right amount of spice. Very much made as the huaraches I used to eat in Mexico, I washed it off with a tutti-frutti Jarritos. And I paid $12 for dinner. Incredible, eh?

Sal y Limon (huarache)

Overall, an amazing restaurant and I wish them all the success that they deserve. One note: please be patient as they have only 2 staff during lunch and 4 for dinner, so if you crowd them, bear in mind that they’re in the early stages. But you should run, not walk, and try them out. Sal y Limon is the real deal.

Disclosure: I paid for both of my meals on my own dime.

Sal Y Limon on Urbanspoon

1. Menudo for brunch with my Mom #MexMonday
  2. Matchstick Coffee Roasters (Kingsway and Fraser)
  3. Che Baba Cantina (Kingsway and Fraser, Mount Pleasant)
  4. McAuley Park (Kingsway and Fraser)
  5. Menudo, how I love thee!

Michael KwanMay 2nd, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Looking at the pictures, you have a salsa bar like Dona Cata too? I want the tacos!
Michael Kwan recently posted..What’s Up Wednesdays: Top Thinkers

Maryden25May 3rd, 2012 at 7:06 am

I love this post! Mexican food is so delicious! I love tacos with salsa.. Yummy!
Maryden25 recently posted..Burn Fat Build Muscle and Get Ripped

MattMay 3rd, 2012 at 2:30 pm

And I always thought huaraches were sandals. . . . Sounds like something I need to try.

RoannaMay 3rd, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Just a few years ago Vancouverites were saying how we have no Latin food here… Well, WE DO NOW! This is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

RaulMay 5th, 2012 at 9:56 am

The reality is that they have amazing food, and you should visit them ASAP!

LorenMay 6th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I’ve been looking for decent (read: not tex-mex) Mexican food for a while. Will definitely check it out. Fraser is certainly growing on me!

MattMay 7th, 2012 at 11:05 am

There’s no decent Tex-Mex here either. What passes as Tex-Mex in Vancouver horrifies most native Texans (including this one).

So don’t make the mistake of assuming Vancouver Mexican food is bad because it’s Tex-Mex. It’s bad because it’s Van-Mex.
Matt recently posted..Tex-dar

RaulMay 8th, 2012 at 10:12 am

I agree with what Matt says – there’s Mexican food and there’s Tex-Mex and there is a dearth of both in Vancouver.

EdgarMay 19th, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I have been there twice and both ocassions left the same impression on me: fast food system on food that can’t be ever served this way.
As a result, my tortas and tacos were served in their default presentation which is the food thrown on a plate with a piece of checkered paper on it.
There are no waiters.
So, in spite of how much I like the people there I won’t be coming back to this embarrasing interpretation of what Mexican cuisine is.

RaulMay 19th, 2012 at 10:40 pm

@ Edgar – I love the food (and I’m Mexican) and I think that giving the owners constructive feedback would be valuable. Thus I’m leaving your comment (and approving it) so that when they read the comments they can realize that you have provided a good point (e.g. the piece of checkered paper should probably not be there). Hopefully they’ll reconsider this element. I am not particularly bothered by it, and I find it’s the most authentic Mexican cuisine I’ve tasted in this town.