I don’t care about Oprah’s first tweet.

The popular blog TechCrunch is blogging about the fact that Oprah Winfrey is joining Twitter and she will tweet for the first time tomorrow, during her show. Call me self-righteous, annoying, condescending, whatever you want to call me. When we live in a world where 1 billion people live in regions of high water scarcity. When we live in a world where we are SO far away from fulfilling the Millenium Objectives. When we live in a world afflicted with war, pain, suffering, poverty, I just can’t fathom why on the planet is it relevant that a TV celebrity will finally join Twitter.

Oprah has done a LOT of good, from the very little I have seen. She seems like a person with a good heart. The only, the very only reason why I would be interested in what she tweets is if she harnesses the power of Twitter for good. And no, I am not following her until I see whether she will indeed contribute to the world through her tweets.

Do I contribute to the world with mine? Maybe not. But all these celebrity tweeters and competitions for ‘hey let’s see who has more followers’ just make me want to puke.

I’ve spoken. Unfollow me at will.

1. Eat It Don’t Tweet It by American Hipster + Key of Awesome
  2. My 125,000th tweet: A newbies and oldies guide to Twitter
  3. Bid For My 100,000th Tweet (for @BCCancer) #b4hb100k
  4. On taking care of myself in 2011
  5. A quick personal reflection on self-care

TylerApril 16th, 2009 at 1:57 pm

I saw someone posted a screenshot of Oprah’s twitter profile. She was only following 4 people and had a huge amount of followers.

I don’t like it when people have huge amounts of followers, but like less than 10 following. What is the point of being on Twitter other than telling us you had banana pancakes.

Tyler’s last blog post..Visitor Trending: When To Publish?

TawcanApril 16th, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Wow Oprah is on Twitter OMFG!

Seriously what’s the big deal? Obama is on Twitter, Al Gore is on Twitter, Richard Branson’s on Twitter too. As far as I’m concerned they’re bigger celebs than freaking Oprah. And to hype out the whole 1st tweet and that she’s going to do it on the show? Give me a freaking break! Get over it, there are way more important issues out there than Oprah’s first tweet.

Totally agree with what Tyler said. Twitter is about social interaction, how are you suppose to interact when you’re following so very few people and don’t respond back to your followers when they write a tweet about you?

VancityAllieApril 16th, 2009 at 3:38 pm

You make me want to follow you instead, because of this post!

Well said!

VancityAllie’s last blog post..CANUCKS WIN ROUND 1, GAME 1 VS. BLUES

VancityAllieApril 16th, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Oh P.S. Subscribed! Added you to my Bloglines :) Should have done this a LONG time ago! You rock!

VancityAllie’s last blog post..CANUCKS WIN ROUND 1, GAME 1 VS. BLUES

AlanApril 16th, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Incredibly, stupendously, and utterly ironic coming from someone who seems to realize and utilize the power of social networking. How could you not acknowledge that one of American media’s most influential people could also tap into Twitter’s unique and fresh approach to reaching and connecting with her audience?

Twitter is not your little clique, but it sounds like the popular girl who dissed you in high school just found your favourite restaurant and now you can’t stand that she hangs out at the same place you do.

Also ironic: a 150+ word blog about how much you don’t care about something. Kind of like the “Burn Book” in Mean Girls.

Did you also throw rocks at crushes in school? Blogs are the new virtual rocks!

True, the hype about her first tweet (and Twitter in general lately) is ridiculous. But why the hate?

Oh — I found a 3rd irony! For someone who is into so many positive social causes as yourself, you’d think Oprah would be a role model.

Ok, I’m done. Follow me at will.

RaulApril 17th, 2009 at 12:52 am

@ Alan – I’ve already discussed this at length with you via email and I am pretty sure we resolved it. I responded to you, you responded to me and all is good. Cheers

KimmApril 17th, 2009 at 8:24 am

She is a great lady for what she has done, but with all the twitter hype from the media saying they are now on twitter makes me NOT want to follow them. Then again I’ve never been a fan of people begging me to follow them. (that’s an unfollow right there)

I don’t see the point of following famous celebs just to make their follower account higher when they aren’t following that many people.

I’d rather follow someone who interacts with at least 85% of their followers.

carolbrowneApril 18th, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Word.

I’d follow you twice now if I could. :-)

BettyApril 19th, 2009 at 12:48 pm

I can pretty much agree with most of the comments. Why the big Oprah deal idea and why not. I guess, ultimately, I see Oprah as a woman, like me, 50 years old who is excited about this new free media. Unlike me though, she has the ability to announce it on her own TV show. In the end, she pees like me and you and everything else like that. Really, this twitter craze came to my attention from the celebrities talking about it and for once they seem more human through twitter. Let’s not be haters. Oh yeah, and please follow me anyway.

Betty’s last blog post..Biserka1: @peteravalos seriously, give the guy a break @aplusk. he’s human not a hypocrite and none of our business how many replies he does