The darkest hour is just before the dawn

The last couple of days have been rough, with highs and lows, ups and downs. Not of the depressive kind, but just feelings of self-doubt (which are very rare for me, I *almost* never feel this way). I just think that sometimes I put too much pressure on myself, on always being at the top of my game, without ever stopping to breath (and smell the roses, or so the saying goes). So, last night when I talked to my Mom, she gave me a pep talk using this phrase, which is also a reminder to everyone who may feel in a similar situation… “the darkest hour is just before dawn“.

Dawn
Photo credit: SplodgusMaximus on Flickr.

My Mom still gives me encouragement using this phrase “recuerda que nunca esta mas oscuro que antes del amanecer” (the spanish free translation of the above named phrase), and I think that for the next few days, this applies more than ever. I’ve been hearing from other people (bloggers, and non-blogging friends alike) that things haven’t been going well for them, for one reason or another. Well, this is MY pep talk to YOU… the darkest hour is just before the dawn.

1. Before Dawn by Joyce Cooling
  2. Building Robust Online Communities: Exploring Instagram, Foursquare and Pinterest (my upcoming IABC/BC Media Lunch Hour Talk)
  3. Win a Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 gift pack via @hummingbird604
  4. Anything for love?
  5. My darkest secrets revealed…

PhaedraMay 6th, 2008 at 8:59 pm

your mom sounds like a wise woman, and I look forward to meeting her when see comes to visit. Much love and hugs to you, and I look forward to seeing you on the dancefloor Friday night!

keeferMay 6th, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Ditto here, man.
Thanks.

TawcanMay 6th, 2008 at 10:25 pm

That’s a good advice your mom gave you. As much as I hate to admit, moms do give out good advices in general.

Barbara DodukMay 6th, 2008 at 11:15 pm

YES you must come dancing… like the song… sing it… weeeeeeee

Mom’s can sometimes rock eh? I’m sending mine flowers as a surprise.

Dave LMay 6th, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Studies show this is actually true.

If you track motivation and effort on a goal (such as by working with a personal coach) and try hard to maintain effort and commitment, whenever low motivation pushes you hard enough that your effort drops significantly, you almost always get a huge re-lift in motivation within 2-4 days. I call it getting an engine overhaul.

If you track this over a long enough time, you start to get excited when your motivation goes in for an overhaul! Because you know it is about to shoot back up.

All the best to you!

[...] With fun and exciting things happening all around me it’s a wonder how I can get so down sometimes. There are people who struggle a lot more than I do in this life but everyone has their good days, their bad, and sometimes you just need to share some love and hope some of that comes right back at ‘ya. Even if it doesn’t, the warm fuzzy feelings accumulated from sending out the kindness should be enough to brighten your day, even if things simply aren’t going your way. Like Raul noted, “The darkest hour is just before the dawn.” [...]

DonMay 7th, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Actually the cliche is “the darkest hour is just before the DON”. A nice kick with my happy boots and everyone feels better. ;p) No, don’t thank me..

RaulMay 7th, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words :) I am hoping this was also uplifting for you :)

JenMay 7th, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Words of wisdom!

[...] no matter how difficult the current situation may seem, there’s always a way out and that the darkest hour is just before the dawn. – She has supported me emotionally and financially in each one of my endeavours. Never in my life [...]